Whether you want to treat yourself to something nice or you’re in the market for some sheer lingerie, shopping for the perfect one can be challenging. Lingerie is a great way to make you feel beautiful and desired, but going lingerie shopping can be intimidating. However, finding the right piece can do wonders for your confidence and make you look and feel your sexiest.
Lingerie consists of much more than lacy numbers. You have gorgeous corsets, soft bodysuits, silken robes, tiny thongs, and many more to choose from, which can easily make you feel lost when you’re brand new to the world of lingerie. The good news is that there’s no need to fret—we’re here to make the experience less daunting by giving you five easy tips to help you choose the perfect lingerie for you.
1. Familiarize Yourself With the Different Types of Lingerie
Knowledge is power, particularly when you feel overwhelmed by the endless lingerie choices in front of you! Knowing the different types will make your shopping go much more smoothly. Here are some of the most popular lingerie pieces:
- Robe – Robes are often available in soft, luxurious fabrics and are meant to be worn with a sexy piece underneath. Alternatively, you could also wear it by itself!
- Bralette – These are like bras without the underwire and are often made using lace. They are most flattering on smaller busts.
- Corset – This is one of the oldest garments out there that are still in use today. It gives you a stunning hourglass silhouette by embracing your body and highlighting all your curves.
- Bustier – This is a bra that reaches your belly, accentuating your bust.
- Bodysuit – Also known as a teddy, this is a one-piece set that incorporates a bra and underwear. It’s great for special occasions and layering, such as pairing it with a sleek pair of jeans or a lovely leather skirt.
- Chemise – A chemise is a short dress that looks tantalizing on its own or when paired with matching thongs.
- Romper – Like a bodysuit, this is a one-piece set that includes shorts, which is excellent for achieving a casual, playful look.
2. Identify Your Style
One of the most critical factors that go into choosing lingerie is accounting for your style. Although you may first be drawn to pieces that look amazing on supermodels, they may not feel comfortable when you try them. It’s best to choose pieces that align with your style the best; the goal is not only to look good but to feel good! When you’re truly comfortable in lingerie, that’s when you’ll have the confidence to flaunt what you’ve got.
3. Know Your Body Type
It’s important to note that there is no such thing as one-size-fits-all in lingerie. Be sure to purchase pieces that fit your body shape best. If you’re on the petite side, you may want to buy an underwire half cup bra or a padded one with lace to emphasize your chest. Ruffles are also excellent for making yourself look fuller.
However, if you’re blessed with gorgeous curves, you’ll benefit from wearing pieces that highlight your assets, like a full cup bra. You may also want a sheer chemise that would be perfect for flaunting your cleavage.
On the other hand, if you have an athletic body, a stunning lace bralette can make you look flirtier. Opt for V-shaped necklines, which can make you look curvier.
4. Choose an Occasion
There’s lingerie for just about every occasion, so be sure to buy accordingly! If you want a nice, relaxing night, go for a cute bodysuit, which is effortless to wear while still making you look great. If you have a special event coming up, choose something crazy and fun to celebrate the occasion. Feel free to experiment with bold colors and fabrics!
5. Buy According to the Season
Lastly, be sure to choose lingerie according to the season. Cold months are great for heavier pieces like embellished bodysuits. You can even pair bodysuits with your warm winter clothes and stockings, which look more elegant than your typical tights. However, the hot summer season calls for breathable pieces, so get lingerie made of cotton, mesh, lightweight jersey, and lace.
The most important part about shopping for lingerie is having fun while choosing pieces and imagining how you’d look in them. Don’t be afraid to try new styles, as you may end up discovering a lingerie piece you never knew you needed!
Bou N’ u is a boutique online clothing label for women selling cozy loungewear, affordable lingerie, bikini sets, and many more. All our clothing is of top quality and suitable for any occasion, providing you with luxe knits, sharp tailoring, and versatile essentials. Check out our collection today!